If you're raising a teen at home, you understand the struggle of getting them away from being glued to their phones 24/7. As they come closer to the age of driving, It's important to educate them on the dangers associated with texting and driving as soon as possible.
Ways You Can Educate
Teaching your teen why it's important to avoid using your phone while driving is essential to their first moments on the road. The benefits of instilling this knowledge are crucial to your teen driving on the streets safely. Here are some tips for preparing your teen:
- Talk about it. Like many things, a lot can be understood through a basic conversation. Instead of drilling the idea of getting into an accident and getting hurt, try discussing aspects like getting a ticket or insurance rates increasing. Discussing texting and driving laws and the consequences associated with breaking them could be another way of helping them grasp the whole picture.
- Be an example. Whether they act like it or not, your teen looks up to you in more ways than none. When driving in the car with your teen, do everything in your power to avoid using your phone. Show them that you put it non-silent and in your bag. Also, show them texting and driving isn't the only form of distraction when behind the wheel. Avoid changing the radio or updating your navigation system. If there is a dire emergency, pull over, handle it, then get back on the road.
- Set Consequences. As a teenager, once you get a car and start driving, you will do anything to avoid having the privilege taken away. If you notice your teen is using their phone while driving, try enforcing consequences such as:
- Taking away their cell phone
- Taking away their keys
- If they get a ticket and your insurance rates increase, make them responsible for covering the bill.
- Apps. Texting and driving isn't just a teenage issue. Although it is most common in the younger demographic, it has become such a problem that app developers have created ways for you to not use your phone while driving. Download apps on your phone that silence notifications and inform anyone who tries to contact you that you are driving and will get back to them as soon as you arrive safely at your destination.
Contact a Georgia Attorney
If you or someone you know has been injured in a texting and driving-related accident, we can help. It's essential to consider an attorney to help your road to recovery. Here at Berelc Law Firm, we have what it takes to fight for your rights. Let us be your voice and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Call our firm at (706) 914-1915 today to schedule your free consultation.